Let Me Introduce Myself

Hi and thanks for checking out my blog.  The mere fact that you’re here probably means that, like me, you’re experiencing some hair loss and want to do something about it.  Hopefully, sharing my hair transplant experience with the world will help those who are also considering this procedure, just as other Nu/Hart hair transplant clients have helped to educate me.  I can’t tell you how helpful it has been to learn about the process from others who have “been there and done that.”  So I’m looking forward to telling my story to you.

My name is Dave Manno. I produce television shows and corporate videos.  Over the last several years, I have worked with Arrowstarr to occasionally provide video production services to Nu/Hart Hair Clinics, whose corporate headquarters also reside in Pittsburgh, PA.  It’s during this time that I’ve been to their facility, gotten to know the staff, learned about their hair transplantation process, and become intrigued with the idea of getting my own hair back.  Finally, the day came that I knew it was time for me to stop thinking about getting my hair back – and start doing something about it.  So after a few conversations with their medical staff and Dr. Peter Dickinson, I scheduled my very own hair transplant, which took place just the other day.

Okay, I’ll be honest here.  It’s been less than two days since my procedure and if I position myself just right in front of a mirror and dim the lights, the little marks on my head where the hairs were transplanted fill in the spots that were recently bare.  I can now truly imagine what my hair and hair line will look like in a few short months.  I am totally pumped.  I truly look 15 years younger…and that’s with just the marks!  Just think what curly brown hair will look like. If I can just reign in my patience, I’ll be in good shape.

Though I’ve undergone back surgery, gallbladder surgery, and several very uncomfortable outpatient procedures, I’m still a very fidgety patient.  Despite my whining and constant need to take breaks, Dr. Dickinson was extremely professional, patient and understanding.  The staff, Bridey, Kristi, Bob and Claudio kept things light and humorous, which was much appreciated.  They’re still amazed that I took a dose of valium and I was still fully alert and able to walk out of there in a straight line.  They were equally amazed that I drove myself home while eating a Wendy’s burger with my right hand and texting on the cell with my left.  Just kidding…the love of my life was there to not only calm and comfort me, but also to drive.

Back to the procedure, let’s not pull any punches here.  This wasn’t open heart surgery, but it wasn’t a mole removal either.  I guess I would say it was similar to maybe a dental procedure.  Granted, any procedure carries with it some risks, discomfort and trepidation.  But I guarantee you that when I look in the mirror a few months from now, every tug, push, pull, pinch, swell and ache will be worth it.

I was concerned about how or if I would sleep, but night one was amazingly uneventful.  I slept well, despite having to lie on my back.  Yes, I cheated and turned on my side now and then, but I woke up with little pain and virtually no swelling.  The most uncomfortable thing was the tightness in my scalp.  It felt like I was wearing curlers that were rolled too tightly.  (Not that I have ever had curlers in my hair, but I can imagine what it must feel like.  Okay, let’s switch that to it feels like a football helmet that is too tight.)

I’ve given Nu/Hart some of my “video log” of the events leading up to the procedure.  Next time, I’ll post the video of my pre-operative consultation with Dr. Dickinson.


Tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Let Me Introduce Myself”

  1. bluesman72 Says:

    Were you really not allowed to move from the chair for four hours?

  2. Dave Says:

    No, I should clarify. While the procedure itself took a few hours, there were plenty of opportunities for me to stand up, get something to drink, stretch, etc. Whenever I wanted a break from the chair, I was pretty much granted one.

  3. Dek Says:

    This is cool thing! Good luck, dude. I’ll be following your progress.

  4. Dave Says:

    Also wanted to add that in addition to taking breaks when I needed to, they gave me the ultimate relaxing pill…it’s called the remote! I had full control of the remote for the flat screen TV located just feet away from me. That’s even better than home! Ironically, it was opening night for college basketball, my favorite, and there was like 20 different games on. That made the time pass quickly. So don’t let the whole, sitting still thing be an issue, it was just like watching TV at home.

  5. hdrocket Says:

    Please post more info. How many grafts? what type of procedure, strip? neografting? any befor and after pics? No swelling? that is rare for a strip HT proceedure.
    A few concerns though. This seems more like a staged production/commercial type blog. Reason I am saying that is your story says you were there with your better half yet you are getting out of the car and entering the facility alone. Also when you get into the place and the gal greets you there is a lot of editing/angles going on. And Bob? thats cool he went from a client to a sales rep to now a nurse.
    I really hope you keep us all updated!

    • Tim Says:

      Hi hdrocket,

      While I’m sure Dave will address your other questions, I can tell you that Bob Fasenmyer is one of Nu/Hart’s success stories of which we’re very proud. Indeed, Bob started out as a hair transplant client, enjoying some great results. In fact, you may already have seen one of his hair transplant session videos on nuhart.com. Fast forward to the present, and today Bob works as our Medical Operations Director. He’s trained Nu/Hart medical assistants in our Manila, Hong Kong, United Arab Emirates, London, and Malaga offices, just to name a few.

      Hope that helps!
      – – – – – –
      Tim DeBacco
      Nu/Hart Marketing / Communications

    • Dave Says:

      To hdrocket,

      To answer your questions, I had the strip procedure performed. As for swelling, I did experience some the 2nd morning but that was because I did not follow the Doctor’s instructions. I slept with my face down in the pillow and that caused swelling around my eyes and nose. Warm towels and a one hour nap on my back solved that issue easily.

      As for your suspicions of staging, well, I’ve got over 1900 holes in my head that says otherwise. Why the camera captured me arriving alone is a very simple answer…Sheila was very much there, but chose not to be on camera. She simply stood in the background and watched. Different angles were used on my entrance and paperwork procedure because I am a professional producer and videographer. I adviced them to shoot it that way for continuity and professionalism. I’m sure looking at the back of my head the whole time or watching the camera roll while changing positions would have made it look like a college intern was in charge.

      Stay tuned for my next blog as I am having the stiches removed and i will share my experience

  6. biglou67 Says:

    This is a really cool I’ve been considering a hair transplant for years, I cant wait to see and learn more about the process and see when your hair starts to grow.

  7. Dave Says:

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: